Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Rainbow Cupcakes

The rainbow cupcakes came about because I thought the rainbow cakes that I saw other people create looked so fun.  However, I was having a birthday party for a 2 year old and his 2 year old friends and didn't think it was a good idea to serve them a piece of 6 layer cake!

I figured I could just make a rainbow cupcake.  My baking adventures are just that, adventures.  I don't really have any hesitation about them, I always assume I can do whatever someone else can.  It doesn't always work out.  Usually when I think I can decorate like other people, it turns out I can't always!!  Clearly I remain undiscouraged!  However, most things I choose to make turn out pretty good, perhaps not as pretty but usually tasty!

I went about the rainbow cupcake with the same theory.  Never once thinking it wasn't going to work.  I am pleased to say it turned out great.

Now the warning is, these took me 2 hours from the time I started making the batter to when I took them out of the oven!  But I think they were worth it.

First, I believe you need to have a denser cake batter.  I doubt a boxed cake mix would work.  I use the Vanilla Cake recipe from the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook.  It's easy, taste great and is a little denser than most mixes.

Make your batter and then divide the batter as evenly as you can into six bowls.


Then mix in your colours!  I used the Wilton food colouring gel, it gives you very vibrant colour.  Don't be afraid to use a little extra to make the colours stand out!



I didn't take a picture of the next step because I got too into the task at hand!

Once you have lined your cupcake trays with plain white cupcake liners (because they let the colour shine through!) you need to start with red (or purple depending on which way you want your colours to go) and put a small spoon full sized drop in each muffin tin.  Probably around a tablespoon size.  Once you have put a drop into each muffin tin, try to finish off the rest of that colour by making the drops as even as possible.  Then take a straw and lightly push the batter to the edges of the muffin liner.

Repeat with each new colour you need to be as careful as possible not to press to hard with your straw when spreading so you don't mix the colours.  Also, you should try to get at least some if not all of each colour to the edge of the liner for the best finished effect!!
Once you complete all six colours in the ROYGBIV (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, purple, in case you didn't learn the anagram above) (omitting I) bake as usual!


They turn out so pretty and colourful!

Next I mixed up some vanilla buttercream frosting (also from the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook, good stuff!)

Frosted each cupcake and topped mine with smarties in order in the shape of a rainbow.  I chose smarties because I thought they would be easier for the little children to chew.  You can always use skittles or any other candy that has all of the colours!




Almost done, cut into the cupcake to see the pretty colours of the rainbow!!! 


And EAT!!!!!

Enjoy these bright and colourful cupcakes!!



No comments:

Post a Comment